Accommodation / Cost of Living

Cost of living and studying

It is rather difficult to give general information about the cost of living in Germany. But you will find some helpful ideas on the webpages of the DAAD.This page is available in German as well as in English.

Student fees

You do not have to pay any study fees at the Fachhochschule Südwestfalen but you will be charged the so called "Semesterbeitrag " which is an enrolement fee.


Prices for accommodation vary a lot. Rooms in the students resident hall in Hagen can be obtained for 180 Euros per months, but prices on the private sector are a lot higher.

Usually foreign students in Hagen, Iserlohn or Soest can get a room in the students residence halls. Since the number of international students at the Fachhochschule Südwestfalen is increasing, these halls are often fully booked.

Exchange Students:

The International Office will help international exchange students to find accommodation. Please do not forget to indicate on your application form if you need such help.

Full-time Students:

International fulltime students should contact the Studierendenwerk Dortmund. They are in charge of the halls. Should the halls be fully booked please turn to the staff at the International Office .